Spring has almost sprung – Door to Door Solicitors are soon to come!!
The Police Department has information that a large group of magazine solicitors may be in the area. Generally they are young adults between 18-25 and are brought to the area from out of state. The companies that hire them will transport them throughout the county by van and drop them off in neighborhoods to try and sell magazine subscriptions door to door.
In most cases the subscriptions are not even valid. To solicit door to door in Fairfax County each and every solicitor needs a solicitors license which most times they do not have.
Please call 703-691-2131 if you see anyone in your neighborhood soliciting magazines or any other type of items/services. Ask for a patrol officer to be dispatched to the area to check these individuals out. You never know who you could be dealing with so DO NOT confront them yourself.
Tips to protect against solicitors:
· Make sure all your homes doors are locked at all time – even if you are home or out in the yard
· Do not answer the door if you do not know who is on the other side – keep it locked.
· Never give out personal information to a stranger. Never share neighbors personal information, habits, family composition or current location with a salesperson
· Never buy something from a door to door salesperson. Ok….one exception, school boosters or scouts where you PERSONALLY know and recognize the student or scout at your door
· Never hire a contractor who is going door to door
· Never invite a door to door solicitor into you home
· If confronted by a door to door solicitor, first ask for a Fairfax County solicitors license
o If they do not have one then
§ Tell them you are not interested, go inside and call the non-
emergency number (703-691-2131). Do Not tell them you are
going to call.
o If they do
§ Make sure it is valid – then tell them you are not interested!
· Just because they have qualified and paid for a Fairfax County solicitors license does NOT mean they reputable business person or are selling a real or decent product.
JUST SAY NO TO DOOR TO DOOR SALESPERSONS
You can also follow this link for an article on the topic – feel free to use it for your community - http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/stations/mountvernon/pdf/solicitors_just_say_no.pdf